Thursday 14 May 2015

Step by Step Recipe for Spicy South Indian-styled Red Snapper/Sankara Meen Curry



When it comes to sea-food cooking the Indian way, no other cooking can beat the Coastal States way of cooking sea-food. Recently I took a short break to Daman (divided into Moti Daman and Nani Daman) with my family (we opted for Moti Daman near Devka beach), a Union Territory of India, close to the state of Gujarat where I am currently located at. Whenever I visit a new place I always make it a point to try out some local delicacies of that place. However the trip wasn't as good as I expected with regards to sea-food for me, since Daman is a coastal place I have had the impression of getting the opportunity to try some nice sea-food preparation the local way. But I did not get much to try and taste.

So my hubby surprised me this Tuesday by getting some sea-food for me from the local fish-monger before leaving for work.

Out of the varieties of sea-food, I selected the Red Snapper fish for a first time recipe which was shared to me by my Dad years ago.

Let us check out the step by step recipe for a spicy South Indian styled Red Snapper fish or Sankara Meen Curry which is excellent during the hot Summer days too.

Preparation/Total Time: 15 mins/50 mins
Serving: 4-5

Ingredients for the Marinade

700 g Red Snapper fish/Sankara Meen cut into 3/4 size pieces
2 generous pinch of Turmeric/Haldi Powder
1/4 tsp Salt

Method

Marinade the fish pieces with the Turmeric powder and salt. Keep aside.

Ingredients for the Gravy

2 large Onions chopped
2 large Tomatoes cut into pieces
8 Garlic Cloves
3 Tbsp Vegetable Oil
1 tsp whole Mustard/Rai
2 tsp whole Cumin/Jeera
6-8 Curry Leaves
2 medium-size Onions finely chopped
1 1/2 tsp Fenugreek/Methi seeds
1 1/2 tsp Black Sesame seed
2 tsp Red Chilly Powder
1 1/2 tsp Coriander Powder
1 tsp Turmeric Powder
1 1/2 tsp Cumin/Jeera Powder
Salt to taste
6-8 Green Chillies slit into halves
6-8 Garlic cloves halved
A Lemon size tamarind pulp ball soaked in water
1/4 cup or a handful of chopped Coriander leaves

Method

1. Ground the onion, tomato and garlic into a smooth paste and keep aside.

2. Heat the oil in a pan and temper the mustard seeds, cumin seeds, fenugreek seeds, black sesame seeds and curry leaves.

3. Add in the finely chopped onions, halved garlic, slit green chillies, once the above spices starts spluttering. Saute for 2-3 mins on a medium flame.

4. Add in the turmeric powder, salt, red chilly powder and saute on a medium flame until the raw and pungent smell of the onions and garlic is gone.

5. Now strain and extract tamarind paste out of the soaked tamarind pulp. Add this paste into the pan. Cook for another 5 mins.

6. Add water as per your gravy requirement (I have added in approx. a cup of water), cover and boil on high flame for 15 to 20 mins.

7. After that add in the marinated fish pieces one by one into the gravy and simmer on low flame for another 15 mins or little more.

8. Once done, turn off the stove and remove the fish curry in a serving bowl.

9. Garnish with chopped coriander leaves and serve hot with steamed rice.


No comments:

Post a Comment